Ryan P. McCarthy
Born and raised in a Philadelphia union family, Ryan P. McCarthy is proud to advocate on behalf of working people and their unions. His legal career has been singularly focused on fierce advocacy for the legal rights of working people and their unions and benefit funds.
Prior to founding Goodley McCarthy LLC, Ryan worked at a union-side labor and employee benefits firm in Philadelphia. He successfully represented workers in wage and hour disputes, union benefit funds in ERISA litigation, and labor unions in matters that included prevailing wage and duty of fair representation litigation.
Ryan has also served as an Attorney Advisor in the United States Department of Labor, Office of Administrative Law Judges. He handled cases arising under employee whistleblower protection statutes, such as the Federal Railroad Safety Act and Surface Transportation Assistance Act, as well as coal miner cases for Black Lung Benefits.
While in law school, Ryan earned awards for Best Overall Performance in the areas of Labor Law, The First Amendment, and Race and the Law. He was selected for a Peggy Browning Fellowship at Sheet Metal Workers Local Union No. 19, where he worked on collective bargaining issues and matters arising under the National Labor Relations Act and Pennsylvania Prevailing Wage Act. Ryan clerked at the Pennsylvania Human Relations Commission, was a student-attorney on the Drexel Community Lawyering Clinic’s employment law team, and was a member of Drexel Law’s Moot Court Board.
BAR & COURT ADMISSIONS
- Supreme Court of Pennsylvania
- Supreme Court of New Jersey
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Pennsylvania
- U.S. District Court for the Western District of Pennsylvania
- U.S. District Court for the District of New Jersey
- U.S. District Court for the District of Columbia
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Third Circuit
- AFL-CIO Union Lawyers Alliance, Member
- Labor & Employment Committee of the National Lawyers Guild, Steering Committee
- Drexel University, Thomas R. Kline School of Law, Juris Doctor, 2016
- Temple University, Bachelor of Arts (History), 2012